Saturday 22 November 2014

BOOK OF THE DAY: Mystery and Misadventure by M.D. Hall

by M.D. Hall
(Click for UK , Australia, Canada or India purchase)





BOOK DESCRIPTION
Sometimes things are not as simple as they seem. A clock - a shop - while they seem innocently tangible, something sinister may be lurking below the surface. A bargain is meant to benefit someone, but will that someone be you? This collection of thirteen tales reminds us all to be careful what we wish for.
 

AUTHOR BIO
Alpha Choice was my debut novel and the first volume in the Te'an Trilogy. Volume 2: Omega Shift will be out in late autumn 2014, while volume 3: Infinity's End is set for release in December 2014.
Awakening is the first in the Journey series of novellas. They are set fifteen hundred years before the Te'an Trilogy, and chart the journey of Rin. The Journey stands apart from the trilogy, drawing to a close many years before many of the trilogy protagonists are born. However, if you follow both, be prepared for an ultimate fusion of the stories within the pages of Infinity's End!

Most recently, I have published a collection of seven short stories: Mystery and Misadventure. The set includes: ghost stories, tales of the supernatural, and unfortunate happenings.

There is now a follow-up volume: Mystery and Misadventure -- An Old Acquaintance, which contains thirteen stories in time for the darker nights.

I enjoy mystery and like to suffuse my stories with subterfuge, and occasional political espionage.

I live with my wife and we have one grown-up daughter who lives just a few miles away. I continue to balance writing with my day job, and in common with Alpha Choice's Hugo Black, I have practiced for many years as a lawyer - although the only resemblance between creation and author is that we both wear suits to work.
 

REVIEWS
5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first collection. October 16, 2014
By db
Format:Kindle Edition
This collection of 13 short stories is, in my humble opinion, even better than the original Mystery and Misadventure collection. Each of the stories exhibits considerable imaginativeness and inventiveness and Mr Hall continues to write in his very engaging and fluid manner. The new stories also benefit from being a little longer than the originals. The stories confer at times sinister undertones, or being influenced by mischievous elements and there is a notable theme of 'be careful of what you wish for'. Indeed they remind me of Roald Dahl's anthology books which were dramatized in the successful (1980's) UK television production 'Tales of the Unexpected'. Whilst the stories have definite conclusions much is left open to the reader's interpretation and intelligence. An example of this is how Mr Hall continues with an almost subliminal thread in each story involving 'Mr Samuel Prite'. It remains a very interesting conjecture as to how this will be resolved! Overall, a very worthwhile read and one which can be recommended.
 
 
5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from M D Hall October 5, 2014
Format:Kindle Edition
In my review of M D Halls first book Mystery and Misadventure I said that in the past I had been very dismissive of fictional books however having read the book I was hooked, M D Hall’s unique style of writing with its unexpected twists and turns left me wanting more.
I was therefore delighted to find the second book of short stories by M D Hall called An Old Acquaintance Mystery and Misadventure, I must admit I was somewhat sceptical that his second book might not live up to my expectations, how wrong, in my opinion An Old Acquaintance Mystery and Misadventure is better than the first novel as once again M D Hall leaves you with unexpected twists and turns in every story.
I cannot wait for the next book to be released so I can continue reading more of the twists, turns and intrigue associated with the shadowy character of Mr Samuel Prite, who is he, or what is he, I'm sure there is more to come from Mr Prite in future stories.
Well done M D Hall another fascinating and intriguing book
 

OTHER WORKS

No comments:

Post a Comment