Thursday 10 October 2013

BOOK OF THE DAY: The Bet by David Brown


The Bet  
by David Brown 





BOOK DESCRIPTION
Richard Kepperman was on top of his game until blowing the whistle on his high powered Atlanta accounting firm. Black balled from the financial arena, on the verge of bankruptcy, he returns to his roots in coastal Georgia to be near his aging grandfather, Clayton. Frustrated and underemployed, he is an easy mark when approached by a stranger who offers to bet ten million dollars that he can capture Richard within a span of thirty days. In return, Richard will be required to risk all that he holds dear. 

Given a twenty four hour head start, Richard embarks on an odyssey that will forever change the way he views love, life, friendship and the power of money. On the run, he encounters forces that threaten to do irreparable damage to his sanity and rip his family to shreds. Fighting to stay alive, Richard uncovers the startling truth about the deaths of his parents and learns that the real power behind the stranger is a man who harbors a sixty year old grudge against Clayton and is willing to commit unspeakable atrocities to satisfy his desire for revenge.


AUTHOR BIO



David Brown is a graduate of Kennesaw State University and a veteran of over fifteen years in the financial industry. He lives with his wife, two of their five children and four cats in Marietta, Georgia.


REVIEWS
5.0 out of 5 stars The Bet was AWESOMEOctober 14, 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Bet (Kindle Edition)
The Bet by David Brown is a real page-turner. Great job by Mr. Brown of developing the characters - both the good and the evil. The book had some interesting twists with an ending I did not expect. Exciting and dramatic all the way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll BET you will love this novel!September 3, 2012
This review is from: The Bet (Kindle Edition)
Wow! This is one of the most exciting, well-written, and character-driven stories I've ever read, and I've read a bunch. David Brown's debut novel is clearly 'top shelf'. If you enjoy a creative plot with characters able to handle their task...well, "The Bet" is for you.
This one is written with excellent dialogue, pace, and an ending that will blow you away!
Brown adds every emotion, every aspect of greed and jealousy along with true love and friendship. As an author, I see talent and the storytelling skill with this new author. I sure hope to see more of Brown's work. "Well done, David! Keep writin' and smilin'..."

LeeCarey-author.com

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable, suspenseful readSeptember 9, 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Bet (Kindle Edition)
I'm always suspicious when I see a first-time author's work that has a small number of reviews that are all very positive. I question the bias of the reviewers when I don't see anyone with any criticisms. So I was pleasantly surprised after reading The Bet. It's a well-written first book that most readers of suspense novels will enjoy. The concept of the chase isn't so new but it's an interesting twist when the bet puts money up against the loss of one or more limbs. It makes you wonder what one would do for money if otherwise unable to provide for one's family, regardless of the odds of actually winning the bet. I was also pleased to see this novel didn't suffer from the amateur editing of so many other e-books. I think there are areas in which the narrative could be condensed, shortening the book somewhat, but I didn't find the blatantly obvious grammar, spelling and formatting errors prevalent these days in so many self-published books. A final comment: I cringe whenever I read a review that says a new author is "the next..." Grisham or Baldacci or King. That's a level that would take years for the right author to achieve. That being said, The Bet did evoke memories of The Firm as it's a fast-paced, suspenseful story that didn't let down until the end. That's a high complement for the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars JDSeptember 16, 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Bet (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed "the Bet". I found it while looking at a web book review site and it sounded interesting, that along with other read reviews made me take a chance and I'm glad I did. This was a really good story that kept me engrossed and the characters held my interest. For some reason, I've had a hard tome finding decent books this summer (maybe it's me?)Many start good and just fizzle...this was a pleasant surprise. From the opening pages where I was reeled in, the story kept building. I will look for more titiles from David Brown. I think he's got a nice career in front of him.


No comments:

Post a Comment