Monday 28 October 2013

BOOK OF THE DAY: 13 on Halloween by Laura A. H. Elliott

by  Laura A. H. Elliott




BOOK DESCRIPTION
THE FIRST BOOK IN THE SHADOW SERIES
"This is a great series for tweens & young adults. Clean, fun, and super action-packed." - Realms of an Open Mind

"Elliott takes the reader into an absolutely unique and captivating world where nothing is as it seems and reminds us that reality isn't so bad after all. It's rare I come across a book that can entertain me and my ten year old daughter. Fantastic read."- Abbi Glines

Roxie wants to be like Adrianne, the popular girl who gets everything she wants--a flock to prowl around the mall with; invitations to parties; and for Hayden, the cutest guy in the eighth grade to, you know, notice her. When Roxie invites all the eighth grade popular kids (code word : peacocks) to her first ever thirteenth birthday party on Halloween, they all come and give her a gift that's literally out of this world. Roxie astral projects to Planet Popular where she becomes seventeen instantly and gets everything she's always wanted, but nothing is as it seems. Being a high school peacock is complicated and Roxie will risk everything to be who she thinks she wants to be. Oh yeah, there's Prom, doppelgangers, a mysterious map, and lots of bad peacocks too. 

BONUS EXCERPT:Shadow Slayer, Book 2 in The Shadow Series is available for 99 cents for a limited time! 13 on Halloween & Shadow Slayer are now available as audiobooks on Amazon too!


AUTHOR BIO




I love writing about enchanted road trips, shadow worlds, and alien romance while eating lots of popcorn. I live in a tree house on the central California coast. After twenty-plus years as a freelance graphic designer/animator with clients including E! Entertainment Television and The Los Angeles Times, I crossed over into the world of publishing non-fiction and followed my heart to the world of fiction. You can find me on my blog Laurasmagicday.wordpress.com, on Facebook and @Laurawriting and on Goodreads too!

I'm the author of the Shadow Series & the Starjump Series. 13 on Halloween (Shadow Series #1) is about a girl who gets a birthday gift that's literally out of this world. I love this book because it takes a look at one girl's quest for popularity, no matter what the cost. Shadow Slayer (Shadow Series #2), is my new release and is now available as an audiobook too. I'm really excited about this book because Roxie is one year older and finds the agony of fitting in at high school nothing compared to saving the world from the shadow onslaught. Moon Killers, book 3 is due to release this spring. Transfer Student (Starjump Series #1) is an intergalactic tale of beauty and the geek. This book is near and dear to me because it explores the greatest mystery in the galaxy--what do boys think about girls? And, vice-versa. Ashley & Rhoe solve this mystery by swapping lives. I'm the author of a couple stand alone novels too. Winnemucca, a small-town fairy tale is inspired by my life-long love of a little-known town and my equal love of enchanted teenage road trips. I love this book because it's about Ginny awakening to her own intuition. The Seven Caves & Other Spine-Tingling Short Stories, is a compilation of my most popular ghost stories. Recently, a lost excerpt from Shadow Slayer has been featured in a paranormal romance anthology called Midnight Surrender.


REVIEWS
5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and creative! July 27, 2012
Format:Paperback
This was a wonderfully engaging book. I enjoyed main character, Roxie. She was very identifiable. I mean, who hasn't felt like an outsider at some time in their life? Laura Elliott, takes a creative approach in her novel with "Roxie Speak," Roxie's unique lingo. Roxie is an animal lover and relates qualities of certain animals to label things in her life. Popular kids are flamboyant peacocks, while she is a dodo whose life ambition is to become a peacock. I won't ruin the story for you by telling you if she achieves her goal, but do recommend reading this book. I just noticed the audiobook too. Very cool. It should really bring the characters to life! 


5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun October 28, 2011
Format:Kindle Edition
Loved this book! Great for the 11-14 set, very true and almost uncomfortable in places because of that truth. I really felt for Roxie, the lead character. She has a very strong voice and a problem I have no problem connecting with--she wants to be popular. In fact, she'll do anything at all to be one of the 'peacocks', including risking everything she is in a strange place called Planet Popular.

The writing is strong, story engaging and the characters very lovable--even when you think maybe you shouldn't. The plot took me somewhere I wasn't expecting and I dove into that. I would have loved some more book at the very end--to have explored the Pandora's box writer Elliot opened up, but that's just me, I think--I hope she writes a sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment